Popular posts from this blog
Personal Investigation work
This is a series of lino prints I made continuing with work similar to German Expressionism. I experimented with different colours so they're more interesting and it creates more variety. I used darker shades of colours to stick to my theme of emotions during lockdown as brighter shades wouldn't carry the same tone. After printing only on white paper I needed to make my backings more interesting, as while the work doesn't look bad its a bit plain. First I used tissue paper against a sheet of paper. I thought it'd be fitting to create darker tones for the tissue paper, so I put some black tissue paper behind to create this. To keep to expressing emotions, I decided to rip the paper as I felt it expresses feeling frustrated and disjointed. I didn't choose my colours very well for this work however, I made the tissue paper too dark which led to the prints being hard to see. Continuing with making better backings I added newspaper onto the next one so no matter what co...
German Expressionism and Kathe Kolwitz
German expressionism was a movement started in the early 20th century, and put an emphasis on inner feelings. A lot of art from this movement was made up of simplified shapes, bright and strange colours or ,in contrast, dark and limited colours. The style looks quite surreal and sometimes uncanny. Often art in the movement was painted (like Franz Marc's) or was a woodcut print (like some of Kathe Kollwitz'). I like the strange and exaggerated features of a lot of these, I find it to be a unique and interesting style. I also love the two tone prints, and how the lines look to emulate shading and depth. Very fittingly these two tone prints are quite somber and dark in mood, I feel the artstyle complements that really well. This movement fits my theme well. The dark and moody style of some of these fit how I'd like to express the feelings of being in lockdown - that being ones like confinement or loneliness. Kathe Kollwitz is a notable figure in German Expressionism, and her w...
Comments
Post a Comment